Monday, February 2, 2009

Update to Post Below

I sent a comment to the programmer for the TaxExpress and he replied saying that he had talked to several "Experts" and they said that the 2008 Standard Federal Deduction for married filing jointly is $11,900. Which is fishy because my 2008 1040 says its only $10,900.

So, I guess if you are not itemizing deductions, and are not eligible for additional state tax credits, using TaxExpress might save you money if you claim a stadard deduction of $11,900 instead of $10,900. But then again, that wouldn't be honest unless some one can provide better explanation.

I also found out that you can't use TaxExpress if you want to itemize deductions. It was in the itemization of deductions that we saved the largest portion of the 80% I was mentioning below. Hence, having a good program or spreadsheet becomes even more valuable.

Signing off,
Dan, Dan The Tax Man

1 comment:

Megan said...

you're so cute when you're angry.