Monday, June 23, 2008

Looks Like I'm in Good Shape




I keep telling Megan that I want to get a gun. I guess according to this test, as long as I have my lucky machete, I should be in good shape. I learned a lot of these survivor skills on my mission. It was like 2 years of scout camp (good old Campinas - that always makes Megan laugh). One time I got attacked by a big hairy German Shepard and I kicked it real hard as it bit me. It was awesome! It bit me on my belt so I didn't even feel it. Missionaries really are protected. After that, I teased a few dogs (small ones only) and got bit like 3 more times, and then I stopped because I could already say that I got bit by a dog. Don't get me wrong, I didn't provoke the German Shepard, it hastily came at me, which always made us laugh because my companion was just as tall as me but about 80 pounds lighter. The dog had an appetite for fleshy meat.

The funny thing about this survival test is that it asks questions about physical prowess, fitness and abilities, but it never asks about intelligence, or quick-thinking except for your reaction time. I think when it comes down to it, size really does matter, but you also need to know how to use your size. I have seen real animal attack books in places, I'm thinking of one with a yellow cover... I can't find it. There are different tricks to fighting different animals and you have to think quick without panic to know what to do to beat them.

Last year at scout camp I chased a badger out of our campsite. I wanted to fight it, but it ran away without giving me a chance. We also saw some moose. I don't think I would ever want to pick a fight with a moose.

When I was 18 I went on a road trip to Yellowstone with a few friends. One of them brought along a book that documented all the known deaths at Yellowstone since its inception as a National Park. That was a cool book.

Anyway, I should be working on my thesis. Good luck to the rest of you.

3 comments:

Beth said...

You could TOTALLY take on a housecat. This one time when I was at your house, this cat (Sprinkles or Tiger or Crystal) came into your backyard and you totally hissed at it, ran after it, and man, it was too scared to come out from under the shed for, like, days. And the little girl (your neighbor) who was trying to get the cat was like crying and calling for her kitty, but the cat was too scared of you, man. too scared.

Dan said...

Dan could take on anything. That's why I married him.

Megan said...

you're kind of a show-off, though. one upper.